Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My Secret Addiction (revised)

One or two of you may not be aware of my addiction to New Cars! And some old ones too.

I guess it started in earnest when I was in high school. I remember when the 1964 1/2 Mustang came out - I wanted one of those! But what can you do when you are fifteen, no job, no inheritance, and your dad is so practical he bought a 1959 Ramble Station Wagon - six cylinder - three speed on the column with over drive and two tone pink to boot? There is a big difference between and sleek Mustang and a Pink Rambler Station Wagon!

Well, over the years my passion increased. The '60s was the era of the muscle cars - Camaro SS, Cougar XR7, Mustangs - Shelby, GT, BOSS - Chevelle SS 396, Dodge Charger with 426 Hemi, Dodge Challenger, - I think you get the picture.

When I got home from my mission in 1970 my dad bought me a 66 Mustang. Even though it was a six banger with a three speed on the floor, I really liked that car. But, I got married and had to think a little practical, so we sold that and bought a car from my dad - Nova Station Wagon.

Mary Lue worked for Tupperware when I was in College and did so well she became a manager. Tupperware let her drive a new Torino Station Wagon! That was our first new car as a couple.

When we bought a nearly new car (only four years old) we got a little Capri (imported for Lincoln Mercury from Germany). We had some good times in that car. Mary Lue did have a little fender bender, but it was a fun car. It even had a sun roof!

So what is a guy to do that loves cars? Well, he gets a job at a car dealership of course. I went to work for Marion Willey & Son Ford in Bountiful, Utah. I eventually got a demonstrator - you know a new car you don't have to pay for. My first brand spanking new car was a 1974 Mustang fastback with a V6 and 5 Speed manual transmission! That first week you couldn't get me out of the car. If I wasn't working we were on 'road trips'. At the dealership I would average two new vehicles a year. Some of them were Fairmont Wagon, two or three Granadas, a couple of Mustangs, LTD (the boat), Torino Elite, Thunderbird, Bronco, etc.

Then I got a job with, you may have guessed it, a car company! What better way to drive new cars than have a job where you get to order a new car two to three times a year. The hardest job I have is deciding what to drive and what color to get. (I just order all the options available).

About 5 years ago I tried to list all of the vehicles I had driven. I think it was in the high 80's at the time. So I would guess the list is over 100 now.

I don't know what I am going to do when I retire and have to BUY a car. What will I get? What will I be happy with? Because now I am so spoiled I start thinking about what I'm going to order for my NEXT car about one month after I get a new one.

Oh, well, I'll think about that tomorrow. Right now I will be satisfied driving either the '05 Red Thunderbird convertible or the '05 Merlot Ford Five Hundred.

1 Comments:

Blogger K2 said...

Dad,
I don't think you'll ever stop loving cars. Thanks for passing on to your kids.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home